Wednesday, April 21, 2010

~Shoes, Shoes, I Love You~

While walking at the mall recently, I was disturbed by the sound of my shoes squeaking. I felt as if everyone was turning to see whose shoes were making so much noise.

It is not a good sign when your shoes squeak, it means there is a problem, and for the amount I spent on them, they should be near perfect! I like my shoes to 'speak' to me, but not literally!

Good shoes are hard to find. Which is one of the reasons most women have more pairs than they need. It is not enough for the shoes to look good, they must feel good. But alas, shoes, like people fall under the 'looks are deceiving' category. How many of us have kicked off our shoes the moment we have sat down during a function? Shoes tend to go by the two hour standing quotient. Once you pass that, your feet will be killing you. And with shoes escalating to amazing heights, yes, there are 6 inch heels, how are you supposed to stand longer than 10 minutes?

I am constantly searching for the so-called perfect shoe. Its quite like searching for the perfect bag, except, my bags don't hurt me physically, only financially. Sadly, its elusive and you keep buying and buying and end up with 20 or so pairs of shoe that none of them will be just right with the outfit you want to wear.

So you have to find THAT pair. Of course thats an impossible task because you see several other pairs that are perfect for other occasions. And these shoes wont go with anything in your wardrobe. Which means buying clothes to wear with those shoes plus still finding shoes for your existing wardrobe. Its a vicious cycle.

The irony is even with so many shoes, you tend to wear the same pairs all the time. I have shoes I haven worn because they dont go with anything. I cant remember why I bought them, they are the wrong color, shape, look.. Yeah, what on earth possessed me to even buy them in the first place?

Why did I need sandals in four different shades of pink? Why did I think wedges with pink flamingos on the heel looked cute?(actually, they really are pretty) Why did I buy yellow sandals again? Oh right. It was summer, they looked good.

I have driving shoes I don't drive in,heels I cant walk in, shoes that seem only made for walking on carpets and a ton of black shoes in different styles. Why? because black goes with everything. So does silver and gold. And every other colour because shoes are gorgeous enough to be statement pieces.

While recovering from my squeaky shoes(trust me, it can be traumatic to have noisy shoes), I tried on a pair of shoes.

Ah, this is another thing, when we find a style we love, we must buy two pairs!! A wear and a spare. The design might be discontinued and we are deperately looking for something similar. This has happened several times, and you are mourning the death of that perfect pair. RIP my love.

If that model returns, they have done something crazy to it. It is like an experiment gone wrong and now looks like the grotesque mutated twin of your previously divine shoe. Why do brands love doing this? If it aint broke, dont fix it! I have said goodbye to several beautiful shoes while watching their hideous siblings take centerstage.

What most of us do now, in case of shoes emergencies(like rotten weather, your soles feel like they are on fire or those shoes you are breaking in are breaking your feet), is keep several pairs of shoes in the car.

This is a new development, actually. I never kept shoes in the car before and when someone asked why, I would say if my car got stolen, I would lose my precious shoes. Yeah, who cares about the car, it just takes you from point A to point B. Someone, obviously not a shoe person remarked that shoes do that too. But really, shoes vs cars?

As I looked at the shoe boxes piling up in my house, I wonder when the madness would end. But do I want it to? As for my squeaky shoes, they are going back to the boutique for rehabilitation. Next time I see them, they would better be whispering, not whining
.

No comments: